And now you are the room leader: Essential skills for successful room leadership
And now you are the Room Leader: Essential Skills for Successful Room Leadership
Have you recently been appointed as room leader or been in the role for some time? Do you find yourself having to make the tough decisions but experience some reluctance in doing so? Can you see potential for change in your room but struggle to bring the team with you? Do you find it challenging to motivate and understand the various behaviours of the colleagues you lead in your room? Do you know how to work in collaboration with other room leaders and your director to bring out the best in your centre?
Being a room leader means leading and managing your classroom and the people who work with you. It can be a difficult and challenging role as many room leaders have no formal training in leadership, but yet are very good teachers of young children.
This all-day workshop will give you the information and confidence you need to be an effective room leader, whether you have been in early childhood for a long time or are relatively new. We will share stories of success and strategies to help you become the best room leader you can be and provide you with some great tools that allow you to succeed now and into the future.
Some of the topics covered over the day will include:
- How to have effective conversations and discussions
- Setting clear goals and attaining them
- Strategies for putting the right team together
- How to support best practices with our team members
- Setting up an environment and team based on accountability and integrity
- Effectively managing change
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain your room leader role and responsibilities to peers
- Identify what it means to be an effective room leader
- Understand the ways in which you can improve your leadership
- Leading effective conversations and discussions with your team
- Map out how to set and achieve long and short-term goals for yourself and your team
- Identify and apply strategies that would assist you to lead your team more effectively
The Australian Professional Teaching Standards
NSW: Completing this course – Now you are a Room Leader will contribute 6 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing: APTS 6.2.2 & 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Other States: Completing this course – Now you are a Room Leader (6 hours) may be used as Teacher Identified Professional Development/Learning addressing: APTS 6.2.2 & 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.
- APTS 6.2.2: Participate in learning to update knowledge and practice targeted to professional needs and school and/or system priorities
- APTS 6.3.2: Contribute to collegial discussions and apply constructive feedback from colleagues to improve professional knowledge and practice
The National Quality Standard
This course aligns with:
- QA 7: Leadership and management
- QA 4.2: Educators, co-ordinators and staff members are respectful and ethical