Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this course near you?
Register your interest now
Do you feel like the transitions in your workplace are restrictive? Do you dream of a more harmonious, settled and relaxed environment where the rhythm of the day is well paced and not fractured? If this is the case then this professional learning program is for you. In an article published in 2008 titled ‘Burn the Rosters and Free the Teachers’ a group of educators were courageous enough to reimagine their day, a day without clocks, a day which was unpredictable in nature but a day where everyone felt more at ease and more in control. So, is this really possible? Can a centre operate without such restrictions in place? In this session, we will explore what it might feel like if we reimagined group times, transitions such as lunch times and sleep times, and dare we suggest packing away. We will also explore what it means to create an environment where we are ready for children rather than children being ready for us. Therefore, we will explore in detail the following:
- How to make routines and transitions smooth and stress free
- What it means to break the habits of transitions which place restrictions on all
- How to liberate both children and adults throughout the day
- What it means to work in sync as a team and with children
Upon completion of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Evaluate their current use of routines and transitions, including the pros and cons of these approaches
- Prepare a program that suits the needs and rhythms of children
- Deconstruct and reconstruct group times and routines so they are more harmonious
- Identify practical strategies to change the practices in your workplace
THE AUSTRALIAN PROFESSIONAL TEACHING STANDARDS
NSW: Completing this course – Managing Beyond Restrictive Transitions will contribute 6 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing: APTS 6.2.2, 6.3.2 & 6.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Other States: Completing this course – Managing Beyond Restrictive Transitions (6 hours) may be used as Teacher Identified Professional Development/Learning addressing: APTS 6.2.2, 6.3.2 & 6.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.
AUSTRALIAN PROFESSIONAL TEACHING STANDARD DESCRIPTORS
- APTS 6.2.2: Participate in learning to update knowledge and practice targeted to professional needs and school and/or system priorities
- APTS 6.3.2: Contribute to collegial discussions and apply constructive feedback from colleagues to improve professional knowledge and practice
- APTS 6.4.2: Undertake professional learning programs designed to address identified student learning needs
THE NATIONAL QUALITY STANDARD
This course aligns with:
- QA 1: Educational program and practice
- QA 2.1.1: Each child’s wellbeing and comfort is provided for, including appropriate opportunities to meet each child’s needs for sleep, rest and relaxation