Do our settings provide for the unique developmental priorities and characteristics of our 2s to 3s? Fascinated by the world around them and determined to find their place in it, they are fast, filled with curiosity, often unpredictable, sometimes challenging and always enjoyable to be with. It is a magical time… as they assert their independence “I can do it!’ or just plain ‘No!’…One of the major priorities for young children is to be in a reciprocal and trusting relationship with an attuned, caring adult. What do we do so that the lived experience of children in this age group in our early childhood settings is mutually enjoyable, authentic and meaningful? How do we notice and nurture warm, responsive relationships with young children so that they are trusting, active partners? How might we better understand their intentions and behaviours? How do we ensure they build a positive sense of self as they discover and engage with the wonderful but sometimes tricky world in which they live?
This workshop offers rich insight into the happenings in the 2s to 3s classroom; the intense emotions, the high level of activity, the need for reassurance. Understanding the life of a toddler will help you develop relationships and create spaces and curriculum which meet the unique needs of the 2s to 3s age group and ensure that your work is theory based, practical and relevant.
On completion of this workshop you will be able to:
- Share with colleagues your thinking around what is in the best interests of toddlers and how their perspectives are reflected in your program
- Create an environment that supports the planning and provision of a sound educational program for young children (toddlers) – where possibilities are endless, curiosity is encouraged, and they can experiment with emotions through play
- Better understand why toddler behaviours happen, and implement strategies and effective ways to handle these every day behaviours
- Build trusting relationships that create a safe haven for children to explore and experience the world
- Engage and interact with toddlers in a manner that develops toddlers’ agency and resilience
THE AUSTRALIAN PROFESSIONAL TEACHING STANDARDS
Completing The Wonderful World of Our 2's and 3's will contribute 6 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered PD addressing APTS 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW