SpeakEasy: Complex Communication Needs - Signs and Symbols
PRESENTED BY: COLIN SLATTERY
Do you feel you have sufficient knowledge on how to include a child with a complex communication need? Presented by a qualified Speech Language Pathologist, you will gain an understanding of complex communication needs in children under the age of 5 who may benefit from assisted communication.
• What is a complex communication need?
• Types of augmentative and alternative communication
• When to introduce alternative forms of communication - when and how
• Introduction to Key Word Sign
• Aided language stimulation using Key Word Sign and symbols
Completing Speak Easy: Complex Communication Needs - the signs and symbols will contribute one hour of PD addressing the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and aligns with the NESA criteria for Elective PD.
NESA Elective PD:
- Enhanced teaching practice to effect positive change and impact on student/child learning progress and achievements
- Job-embedded and provided opportunities for collaboration, transference and application
- Research based and evidence based
Alignment with Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
APST 1: Know children and how they learn
APST 3: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
APST 6: Engage in professional learning
For information regarding teacher registration and accreditation, contact the teacher registration board/institute in your state.
This webinar also aligns with:
Alignment with the Early Years Learning Framework
Adopting holistic approaches
Responsiveness to children
EYLF Learning Outcomes
Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators
Alignment with the National Quality Standards
QA1: Educational program and practice